Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Calm day and the Orient Express

Calm day and the Orient Express

We kept things simple yesterday since it was my first day without my sister’s company.  Evan and I enjoyed the breakfast buffet and then we watched cartoons for a while.  To break up the morning, I took Evan to the third floor where there is a playroom and table tennis.  Evan gave table tennis a good effort, but had trouble hitting the ball.  It was good to see that he didn’t get angry or frustrated, but gave it a good try for a while.  Eventually, he just lost interest and went on to other things in the play room. 

We took a walk at lunch time and went to pick up our laundry at Michael’s, which is a souvenir shop/laundry service.  You can’t throw a stone without hitting shops just like this all over Shamian Island.   Our guide recommended Michael’s and the family who runs it is very friendly and speaks good conversational English.   I paid for the laundry and also bought an extra suitcase.  The shops here sell very reasonable suitcases I’m sure hoping that you will fill them with souvenirs to bring home!  Our funds are limited, naturally, but I want to check almost all of our belongings for the return flight since I will have to keep up with Evan in the airport.

We went to lunch at Lucy’s.  For the first time, Evan turned his nose up at food!  I actually consider this a good thing since he is starting to display a more normal appetite.  During our first few days together he ate more than Anita and I combined.  If Evan’s eyes were open, his mouth was, too, like a ravenous Pterodactyl baby!  (That reference is for Ben!  Mommy misses you sooo much!)    Evan didn’t eat his lunch, but he enjoyed the ice cream that came afterwards.  Then we walked with our new suitcase, filled with clean laundry, back to the hotel.

I had Evan take a nap –( which I would pay for later since he was not sleepy at bedtime.)  For dinner, we walked down the street to a “French” restaurant called the Orient Express. It is in an old train car that is nicely appointed inside with ornate draperies and cloth tablecloths.  The proprietor is a French gentleman who said hello to us.  I would have liked to find out how he ended up here, but there was no opportunity for conversation.  Evan seemed to like the décor and I took some photos there.  The outside area was decorated for a wedding.  When we left, we walked along the sidewalk and peered in to see a young couple in the midst of getting married right there on restaurant grounds.  Evan wanted to see, too, so I lifted him up to look over the gate.  Evan was quite impressed and unfortunately started to “call” out to the wedding party.  I yanked him down and we beat a hasty retreat! 

Back in the room, Evan watched TV for a while and then really had trouble going to sleep.  I know I should not have let him nap as long as he did.  There is a door in our room that leads to another door and the next room.  Apparently, this concerns Evan quite a bit because he pointed at the door and made the universal sign for “Monster!”  (He put his hands up like claws and made a ‘scary’ face, lol.)   I assured him Mommy would punch the monsters and it was ok to go to sleep.  Still, he wanted some of the lights on.  Finally, he went to sleep.

Today we return to the medical office so the doctor can read Evan’s TB test.  Thankfully, I don’t see any sign of a reaction on his arm, so it should be a non-event.  Afterward, our guide is taking us to the zoo.  Another family who adopted a 2 year old girl should be joining us.  It should be a good day and I will take a lot of pictures.







1 comment:

  1. Heidi,
    I am SO happy that things are settling down for you over there. It sounds like Evan loves you very much already! I am sending wishes for more happy days ahead!

    ReplyDelete