Sunday, July 15, 2012


Honk Kong Edition

I am sitting here in the still of the morning literally perched on the generous window “sill” if you can call it that – it is wide enough to accommodate me.  The windows are almost floor to ceiling, wall to wall.  I am fighting back tears.  This is the Novotel Hotel Citygate in Hong Kong where we arrived after midnight.  This is one of the most gorgeous hotel rooms I have ever had the pleasure of staying in.  The bed is like a cloud.  The room is modern and stylish.  There is a big screen TV.   Evan’s mouth literally dropped open when we walked in. 
Back to the window…. The view is breathtaking!!!  There is water to my left and center…there are lush, green mountains to my right.  I am watching the sun rise over both the mountains and the water at the same time.  Below me is a view of the gorgeous swimming pool and what looks like a kiddie pool.  There is a fountain that turns into a waterfall over what looks like stacked steps of black slate and granite stretching the length of the pool.  Every second with the sun’s ascent, the view grows more beautiful.
So why the tears?
We are not staying here past breakfast.  It’s going to break Evan’s heart.  I know it has broken mine.  This must be what it feels like when people have near death experiences and get a glimpse of heaven only to be yanked back to reality.  I would cross the oceans again just to stay here, just to sit in this window.  Alas….
A few more notes about Hong Kong – the airport is nice and well organized.  The restrooms were clean and had Western potties – all of them!  At least I didn’t see any “squatties.”  The people here seem very helpful and speak English quite well.  (Yes, I am aware of the Great Britain connection.)  The cab driver sits on the ‘wrong side’ of the cab and drives down the ‘wrong side’ of the street!  Hong Kong uses it’s own currency.  I had a moment of freaking out when I couldn’t get an ATM to process my card so I could get cab fare.  Finally, another ATM worked for me and I got some Hong Kong dollars.
Well, I must jump in the shower before Evan awakes.  He is stirring a bit now.  Oops, there are his little eyes, open!  Probably a good thing.  We have to leave this beautiful place.  Boy, is he going to be pissed.  LOL. 

Post Script…
Evan was pissed.  He had to say goodbye to that TV before it even got warm.  We have now crossed the globe.   The 14 hour plane ride was not fun.   I am dead-tired.  We are in Chicago and our plane doesn’t leave until 9.  I just checked us into the nearby Country Inn and Suites for the afternoon.  Evan, now so accustomed to the luxury of the Novatel, put both hands out in the universal sign for “this sucks” and made a face when we walked into our very modest hotel room. LOL.  At least there is a TV.    Below are pics from our window in HK.  The first picture is the last one in Guangzhou.  enjoy :)


















1 comment:

  1. I am just happy that you are back on US soil and almost at the end of your journey!! Welcome home, Evan and Heidi!!

    ReplyDelete