Friday, July 20, 2012

Fearless Evan’s First Swimming Pool Adventure!


Ben’s first time in a pool was typical.  At 3 ½, he clung to me, unsure of the logistics of playing in water.  It took a season for me to get Ben off my hip and into an inflatable tube. 

While in China, we stayed in hotels with nice pools.  The temperatures were sweltering, but we did not venture near a pool.  In fact, I made sure Evan didn’t know they were there! I am not much of a swimmer, and my new son wasn’t much for following instructions.  I could just envision my little man running for the deep end and… you can imagine the rest.  In Guangzhou, the pool was on the rooftop.  Another family told me the views were amazing.  I took their word for it.  Who knew if Evan might want to try flying in addition to diving? 

Yesterday we went to a friend’s house for an informal reunion of some of my high school classmates.  Kim has a lovely home in Woonsocket with a swimming pool.  This would be a double-debut for Evan – first time meeting friends, and first time in a pool.  Was I nervous?  You betchya.   We pulled up into the driveway and before Ben and I could get out of the car, Evan was walking up the walkway.  Evan has no qualms. (Honey-badger don’t care.)   From day one, this child has walked into every situation without hesitation.  My sister Anita noted in China that he has “swagger.”   

There were already a couple of kids in the pool.  Evan was ready.  I got the boys changed into their suits and somehow the ladies kept Evan from jumping in while I changed into mine.  Then it was, “Game on!”  As I suspected, and feared, Evan launched full throttle into the pool.  It was clearly his first time, but though he didn’t have “sea legs” – that was no deterrent.

 Evan was in an out of every floating tube…head and arms through…maybe I can float with my legs through, too?  How about that tube? What about a noodle?  Wait…my feet touch the floor and if I bounce I can keep my face out of the water… Those kids are playing ball…can I get the ball? Can I tackle my brother? I think I will splash that little girl.  Wait, she’s kind of cute! Whoa – that kid just jumped into the pool from the side.  I want to do that!   Let go, Mom!  Ok, catch me! Now I’m going to do it again.  And Again.  And Again.  Geez, I’m swallowing a lot of water.  That kid blocked his nose…ok, I’m going to try that.  I put my hand over my nose and mouth…then I let go to make my jump!  hmmmm…that wasn’t very effective.  Oooh…look at that noodle!  Look at me, Mom, I’m a Samurai warrior!  (waving noodle overhead in Samurai fashion and screaming as he jumps into the pool!)  That was fun, I’ll do that 5 or 6 more times.  Why does my Mom look so tired? Wow!  That girl swims under the water!  I will cover my face and hold my breath and give it a try…

I kid you not, I thought, “This kid is going to teach himself how to swim before the day is up.”  To give you an indication of how much fun he was having, I asked him if he wanted to eat twice, and Evan said, “No.”  Finally, he agreed to get something to eat.  Evan downed a big cheeseburger. And noodles, and cous cous, and fruit, and a few other things. Then he had a cupcake from Patticakes  (my best friend’s gourmet cupcakery here in RI) and a slice of chocolate cake. 

Ben, in the meantime, was having a ball playing in the pool with his favorite girl, Morgan – Patti’s daughter (of the Patticakes bakery) – and the other kids.  Ben wasn’t interested in eating, but did come out and have a cupcake eventually.  

I signed to Evan that the sun was going down and it was time to get dressed.  He was okay with that, although Ben protested for more pool time.  I explained that it would get cooler  and the mosquitos would be coming out.  (That is always a way to get Ben motivated to come in!) 

Then, my Bay View sisters, wonderful ladies that they are, were not going to let Evan (or Ben) go home empty handed.  They presented the boys with Welcome Home gifts – a few small toys and some great materials for learning and keeping-busy-while-travelling.  I was deeply touched at their thoughtfulness, (and glad they remembered we are travelling and so kept it small!)       Evan passed out in the car on the way home, and Ben entertained me with jokes from his new joke book:  “What do you get when you cross a dinosaur and a pig?” 

JURASSIC PORK!!
This was a real knee-slapper!!!  LOL!!! 

Thank you, Kim, and my BV sisters, for making Evan feel so welcome and hosting such a wonderful time.  It is always heartwarming to see these ladies, see their growing families, laugh together and celebrate our ever changing – and blessed – lives together.

No comments:

Post a Comment