Saturday, July 14, 2012


Waiting….

….to leave China.  Evan and I will board a plane this evening about 10:20 p.m..  We are making a quick leap to Hong Kong, where we will have to spend the night in a hotel.  The next day (Sunday) we will leave HK about 11:30 a.m. local time.

This morning Evan and I went to breakfast and then took a walk.  Evan’s favorite thing to do is to visit the 7/11 across from the hotel and pick out snacks for the day.  Gum, seaweed, and Cup-o-noodles always top his list.  Honestly, the seaweed affinity freaks me out a bit --- it really smells like Narragansett Bay on a bad day!  But, when we leave this place it will be a rare treat, so I hold my nose and let him indulge. 

After 7/11, we walked along an interior street here which has a median down the center designed to permit many forms of exercise.  There is an oval running track with a soft surface to minimize impact.  To the side of the track, there are basic exercise machines made with heavy metal (more like playground equipment than home exercise machines) to withstand frequent use.  In the early morning, these areas are used by many young and old.  On the side streets, there are many people enjoying morning games of badminton.  What is remarkable is the multitude of senior citizens who are outside every morning engaging in physical exercise.  Our walk takes us over to the walkway along the Pearl River which is a gathering place for many different activities.  Yesterday, we saw a senior citizen group enjoying some sort of public sing-a-long led by a woman with the songs on large chart paper.  This morning, the walkway is lined with seniors practicing Tai-Chi.   They are focused and graceful, sometimes alone, some in groups.  It was a beautiful morning with a nice breeze coming off the river. 

We walked back to the hotel and we are basically just hanging out until our leave time.  As with any tourist place, you cannot walk out of the door without spending money, lol. I am trying to limit that.   Evan must think he has been adopted by an heiress.  We have stayed in nice hotels and we start every morning at an elaborate breakfast buffet.  Evan measured just under the line that made him “free” and I’m sure they regret that every time they see what he consumes in the morning.  I am sure after we leave, they will move the mark down an inch!   Evan will be in for a few surprises in the States when he figures out that he is not the next Emperor, LOL. 

This is likely to be my last post until we arrive home.  I may or may not have time to post in HK.  Pray for us that our trip is uneventful.  As much as Evan liked his first plane ride, I am sure he will be mighty tired of air travel by the time we land in Chicago.  (And we have a looong layover before the Providence flight!!)  My little lemon-drop is not known for his patience J  




1 comment:

  1. I was telling my daughter today about Evan's love for the seaweed snack. She said that she has seen seaweed chips here in Savannah, so you may be in luck when you return! The chips here might not be the same, but they will be seaweed! I am so happy that you are almost home. I have been following you every day and my heart is with you all. Love, Dewilla

    ReplyDelete